Thursday, May 29, 2008

Until We Meet Again

Our time in Australia has come to an end. After three years abroad, we decided to pack up everything and move back to the US. Unfortunately, Dad is ill and my family needs help. It's really hard to care for an ailing parent from so far away, never mind from another country. So, Paul and I have decided the right thing to do is to move home.

I know despite the illness, my parents would want us to live our lives and not worry about anything. In fact, Mom being mom has still tried to shelter her kids from the harsh reality of dad's illness. But after three years, we've had a good run in Sydney. We had fun and will always look back at our time abroad with fond memories. Although our lives were really good in Australia, it just wasn't right to being living the high life while things are not going well on the home front. At the end of the day, life isn't all good if your loved ones are struggling. Dad's illness seems to be finally confirmed by his doctor and at least now we know what we're facing. Paul and I need to be there for our family... we don't want to miss anymore time.

Luckily, Paul's work has been extremely understanding and offered him to work from the US for the same Sydney company. He's telecommuting and will hopefully be making a few trips a year back to OZ. So, in a way, it's not a final goodbye to Sydney. I'm confident we will be back... even if it's just for a few visits here and there.

We had some really amazing experiences while living abroad. We travelled heaps, experienced different cultures, learned much and have come away with a different perspective on life and our lives. I am so thankful and feel so fortunate to have had this experience and look forward to perhaps living abroad again in the future. I honestly think if one has the chance to live overseas, they should. I know it's a big change and there's a lot involved in uprooting one's life but the experience is so rewarding in so many way- too many to really communicate. You get out of it what you put in to it and I think we really gave it our all, which is why we loved it so much. Don't get me wrong, living overseas can be difficult in many ways, but you just have to keep things in perspective, give it a chance and be willing to make compromises and sacrifices. In the end, the benefits and the experience, at least for us, out way any obstacles.

We will miss Sydney and will always think of it as our second home. It's a beautiful city with just about everything you could want- beautiful beaches, scenic harbours and views, green park lands, mountains, wine valleys, culture, arts, business, fine cuisine and on and on. I know I'm a bit partial since we've called Sydney home for three years, but I really do think it's one of the best cities in the world.

I'm not going to say goodbye to Australia because I know we will be back so here's a short re-cap in pictures of some of our good times living and travelling in Australia.


































3 comments:

Casey said...

Holly, it's been neat following yours and Paul's adventures in Australia (and everywhere else you've traveled!). If you guys make it "home" (well, Paul's "home" anyway), be sure to give me a ring. I'd love to see you guys. Also I've been keeping your dad in my prayers and hoping things are moderately ok.

JulieAnn said...

I'm a lurker, and finally getting the courage to speak up.

It's been cool to follow your adventures there, particularly because we'll be doing a 5-month study abroad in Melbourne. We intend to visit Sydney plenty - as we have relos there.

I loved looking at your pictures - it inspired me to look more into traveling around OZ. I'll be checking your blog to figure out where they all are :)

Best of luck with your dad. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Holly said...

Thanks guys... glad you've enjoyed reading along and thanks for the prayers.

Julie & Captain- I'm happy to give some recommendations if you need it. Enjoy your time in OZ!