Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad

Today is Dad's birthday and for the first time in three years, I'm here to celebrate with him. All he wanted for his birthday was for Paul and I to come home and so, he has his wish. It makes me happy that I've made him happy. These are tough times for Dad and our family so being able to celebrate another birthday of his is such a wonderful thing. Although he's not the same old Dad he once was, he's still my dad and I'm so thankful he's still "with us" to know it's his birthday and that he's excited about his big day.

Things are changing for Dad and although I'm not too sure what the future holds for him and our family, I'm grateful for all the time we've had and continue to have together. Just like Mom, Dad has also been the backbone of our family. He's provided a loving, stable familial foundation for Sister and I. For as long as I can remember, Dad was always there for us... even when most Dads are too busy with work. He was always our soccer, basketball, and softball coach through all of our years. He was always there for every swim meet, dance recital, school concert, girl scout ceremony, and anything and everything you can think of. He always made it a point to be there for us and I remember it all. I'm not quite sure how he did it all but he did and in my book, that makes him my super hero.

But not only was he there for me for school, sports and all those crazy extracurricular activities, but he also worked hard to provide a financially sound household for his family. He was extremely good at his job and served as a strong role model to us of what hard work, brains and determination can do. He showed us that we could be anything, do anything and succeed in many things. And, every now and then there might be hurdles and failures, but that's part of the learning process and it only makes you better. Dad has been and continues to be an integral part in making me who I am today. He taught me to learn, to dream, to face challenges and how to over come them. I've learned many life lessons from him whether he knows it or not. He always made time to listen and care. He made my worries and sorrows go away. He's a kind, gentle soul who can make friends with anyone. He's quite the jokester and is always up for a good time. Everyone always loves Dad. I guess the point is, is that Dad was always there for us. Now it's time for us to be there for him.

I'm very close to Dad. I love him dearly and I know he loves mom, me and my sister more than one could ever imagine. We are his pride and joy and just as he is always proud of us, I am even more proud of the man and the father that he is. So thanks, Dad. I love you and wish you many more happy birthdays. xo

No comments: