Monday, January 14, 2008

Nature (again)

Another nature post... yep, you bet. You must be thinking I'm a, "tree hugging, let's be one with the Earth" type of person. Well, maybe I am. I love our planet- it's absolutely amazing. Mother Nature has been good to us so in return I aspire to be good to her by living a "green" life and appreciating her beauty.

Anyway, since my last post was nature related, I decided to carry on in the spirit of it and post about something that happened today.

My Dad was having a decent day so we decided to have brunch at the club. The weather here has been about 75 degrees so we enjoyed our meal on the outdoor patio overlooking the mountains and the golf course. Towards the end of our meal, a coyote appeared running across the greens, relatively close to the dinning area, and started to stalk a family of jack rabbits. It would walk cautiously closer and closer to its prey taking cover behind a bush and blending in to the desert landscape when needed. When the rabbits would get wind of the coyote, they'd break out in to a full sprint running every direction while the coyote chased after them. Eventually, the coyote would back off and the rabbits would resume their usual routine unsuspecting that a coyote was still amongst them.

While some people were rooting for the jack rabbits, I was actually rooting for the coyote. It's the food chain, people. It's life. It has to happen. (I'm not cruel, I swear!) I don't know if the coyote ever caught anything because it eventually ran over the hill and and I couldn't see it any longer, but it was still great to get a birds eye view of the food chain in progress.

No comments: