Thursday, March 13, 2008

Life After 30

So turning 30 wasn't so bad... although the next day, after the first day of celebrating, I was a bit groggy, tired and sore- proof that my youth is fleeting, ha! My two-day birthday celebration turned in to a five-day extravaganza thanks to Paul. Wednesday and Thursday were local celebrations and on Friday, Paul whisked me away to the Central Coast for a weekend getaway at the beach.

My workmates celebrated my birthday with balloons and a Snickers chocolate nut cheesecake- yum! Paul was sweet and sent me this beautiful arrangement at work.



Later we went to Cafe Pacifico for some rather authentic Mexican food. We were all too excited to actually be eating "real" Mexican food that we stuffed ourselves silly and didn't leave room for dessert! Even the margaritas were delicious and quite potent which is probably why I felt a bit rough the next morning.

Thursday night we went to the outdoor Starlight Cinema and watched American Gangster while we celebrated with cake and a bottle (or two) of champers. I absolutely love the Starlight Cinema- this is one of my favourite things to do in Sydney. What's better than grabbing a rug, some wine, food, and cuddling up under the stars with your loved one to watch a movie on a warm summer's night. I love it!



Friday we hired a car and drove a little ways up the coast of NSW to Terrigal for the weekend. We went to Putty Beach and actually went for a swim for the first time this summer. We dined at our usual jaunts- the Haven for brekkie and The Letterbox, one of our favourites, for a lovely dinner! It was a great weekend.







My present from Paul (besides the weekend away) was a handmade didgeridoo, which is an Aboriginal instrument made out of wood. This particular didg is crafted from gum wood and coated in beeswax. The Aboriginal design is very subtle and natural with just a slight adornment of the trademarked black and orange dot pattern. I love that it's a little piece of Australia that will always have with us and the money spent on it goes back to the local Aboriginal village that crafted the instrument. Now trying to play it is a whole other ballgame and it going to take quite some time and practice.



2 comments:

andrea said...

I am jealous of real Mexican food! Glad you had a good birthday!

Emily said...

Your birthday looks like it was a blast and I'm with Andrea... Mexican food sounds like a dream!