Monday, February 4, 2008

Mom


Today is Mom's birthday. I truly wish I could be there with her to celebrate as I know, above all, the one thing she would want the most on her birthday is her family, healthy and together again. However with Sister being on the East coast, myself oceans away and the circumstances being what they are with Dad, unfortunately, it cannot be. And although I am a bit sad I cannot give her, her wish, I know she feels our love and support on this special day and every day.

My Mom is not just my Mom, but she’s my friend. Yes, a bit cliché, but we have always been extremely close to one another. Although I am married now and have my dear hubs to love and support me, knowing that I can still go to my Mom brings me great comfort... Maybe because she’s known me for nearly 30 years, or she’s a smart cookie with heaps of wisdom and love to share, or simply, because she’s my Mom and Mom always knows what’s best. Mom and I talk three times a day, every day, despite being over 7,000 miles apart. Yes, our phone bill is high but it’s a small price to pay to hear the voice of a loved one. She’s the one I love to call to help me make a decision, calm my fears, get advice or just to chit chat and gossip. Just hearing her voice makes it feel like she’s right by my side. And although we are far apart, I am grateful for all that she has given to me and continues to give me- her devotion, sacrifice, and love as well as her smarts, her energy and her beautiful spirit. She has loved me unconditionally and given me strength and security to make it on my own.


I think the hardest part of being a Mom is not the sacrifice, the dedication and love, the joy, the tears, or the energy spent, it’s letting your child grow its wings and then setting it free. I know when she set me free, she knew my move to California for uni was going to be a hard thing to get used to… but to add to it, I met a California boy, fell in love, got married and moved to Australia. She was prepared for the move to So Cal and overjoyed that I found the love of my life, but I think she wasn’t quite ready for her daughter to move half way around the world. And although it’s been tough, I know she’s happy I’m happy. It’s because of Mom that I have become the woman I am today and she has given me the greatest gifts which allow me to live my life to its fullest- no matter where it may take me.

That’s the beauty of Mom. She set me right and then she set me free.

And still, Mom continues to always be there for me, when I need comfort, encouragement, or just a good hug. Every day, she gives so much of herself. She has such a generous heart which makes her so inspiring. I love her, respect her, and admire her. For everything I am today, Mom’s love has shown me the way. I only hope that I can some day be just as good of a Mom like she is. My Mom is my hero. She doesn't know she's a hero but that's what makes her one to me.


I have always known from a young age that we are an extremely close family, and Mom is the backbone of our clan. She is a loving wife, friend and a super Mom who manages to do it all- even when times are tough. She’s been the glue that has kept us all grounded and given us so much in life that I doubt I’ll ever be able to repay her.

Mom and Dad have weathered a lot together but their love, loyalty, selflessness, and hard work has seen them through the best and the worst of times. They’ve been married for 34 years and are still going strong. In essence, they have created, together, a strong familial foundation for Sister and I. Mom and Dad raised us to be the best of friends and for this I am truly thankful. As they’ve said before, the day will come that they are no longer with us, and at the end of the day, Sister and I will always have each other. They take comfort in this just as I do. Family is a gift that lasts forever.

So on your birthday, Mom, I celebrate you and thank you for being the wonderful Mom and friend that you are. My wish for you is health, strength, patience, an enduring spirit, lots of love and more good memories to come.

Happy Birthday. XO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly, thank you so much for the lovely birthday tribute. You bring tears of pride to my eyes, pride in the fact that you are one remarkable daughter full of love for family and life. I know I am have had a successful life because you and your sister are my successes and no Mother could ask for more. You are beautiful inside and out. Love Mom